POISON CONTROL: (800)222-1222
If someone is unconscious or has trouble breathing, call 911.
If you have children in your household, the number for Poison Control should be visible somewhere in your kitchen or bathroom.
According to the Poison Prevention Week Council, the United States receives over two million reported poisonings each year; and out of those two million: 90% occur in the household and 100% are preventable. March is dedicated to the education of preventing these poisons from falling into the hands of curious children. Taking the right precautions can help to avoid a potentially life-threatening situation.
Poison Prevention Tips:
Keep products and toxic chemicals out of sight and reach:
Children are curious, especially for things that can be found at their eye level or within reach.
Put toxic items in cabinets or on shelves that cannot be reached or seen by your little ones.
Lock Them Away and Keep the Original Containers:
Place safety locks on cabinets where you have poisonous items stored.
Keep cleaning products and chemicals in their original containers. If you happen to change the label or alter the original packaging it could be mistaken for something else.
Understand the Products:
Read the labels to understand what exactly is inside of your products, medications, pesticides, alcohol, even plants. Learn the substances that can be harmful and hazardous to your kids.
If an event were to occur, knowing these ingredients can be extremely beneficial when speaking with Poison Control.
Dispose of items Properly:
Don’t just throw out old and unused chemicals, be sure you are getting rid of them properly.
There are a number of resources, including your local poison control, with resources and safety recommendations for anything related to harmful substances or medications for you and your family. Remember, if you suspect that someone has been poisoned, immediately call Poison Control, and do your best to remain calm. If that person is unconscious or is experiencing difficulty breathing, call 9-1-1.