Fall is a wonderful time: beautiful colors everywhere you look, and crisp temperatures perfect for snuggling with your little ones. However, the crisp fall air means one thing: winter is coming. As you know, in the northeast, for nearly 6 months of the year, it’s too cold to go outside on a regular basis. The cold weather coupled with food-heavy holidays like: Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, make it hard to regulate the weight and fitness level of our children.
So, how do we keep our kids active when its cold outside? There are plenty of indoor play places, classes and activities like: martial arts, ice skating, roller skating and basketball. However, these activities come with a price tag, usually ranging from $15 to $20 for a class or admission. If you want to keep your kids active and your wallet full, give our easy, healthy suggestions a try!
• Get Groovin’: A dance party is a great way to burn calories. Blast your kid’s favorite music and show off your favorite moves in your living room. For an extra helpful twist: couple your boogying with daily chores: vacuuming, sweeping, and moping. Cleaning and energy burning, all in one!
• Slide away: Try Sock skating on your uncarpeted floors. This is a perfect exercise which is also fun and easy! Turn it into a game to pass the time with your little ones.
• Overcome Obstacles: An obstacle course takes little preparation but has great results. Run from the living room to the bedroom, do 5 jumping jacks, skip to the kitchen, do a silly dance, and back to the living room. Let your creative juices flow.
• Ready, Set Go: Bunny hop, crab walk, wheelbarrow or walk up and down the stairs. Try clean up races for an extra helpful twist.
• Float way: Blow up a bunch of balloons and see who can keep one in the air for the longest time.
• Jump around: This activity is Ideal for a basement or a room with a high ceiling. Get hopping and raise the stakes. The child who jumps the longest gets to pick the next activity.
• A little bit goes a long way: A small trampoline, Twister or an over-the-door basketball hoop can create hours of calorie burning fun!
Get off the couch, and get moving! These indoor activities will get you and your children burning calories and energy fast!