Get More With Milk! June is National Dairy Month, a tradition dating back to 1937 when we used this time to promote the health benefits of introducing more dairy into our diets. Today, National Dairy Month is a great way to start a summer vacation filled with the essential nutrients and vitamins to help your kids grow strong bones. From calcium to potassium, dairy products contain fundamental nutrients that have an abundance of health advantages.
Dairy products are packed with nutrients to help our children grow. Dairy products pack a big serving of Vitamin D, Vitamin A, Potassium and Calcium. Some popular products include:
- Yogurt (opt for low sugar options)
- Ice Cream (once in a while as a treat!)
It’s recommended children get 2-3 servings of dairy per day.
Some children are unable to consume dairy products, but no need to stress. There are a number of other foods that can replace dairy products and still provide the proper nutrition.
- Dairy-Free Milk
- There a number of milk alternatives that don’t contain lactose. Such as: coconut milk, almond milk, and lactose-free milk.
- Get Creative:
- You can find alternative food products that also have a high dosage of calcium, vitamin D and other nutrients that are found in dairy products.
- Calcium & vitamin D can be found in fortified orange juices
- Blend kale with frozen fruit in a smoothie or introduce other leafy greens in your meals
Ask your Pediatric Care Group pediatrician if you are concerned about the dairy products your children are consuming and discuss the alternatives that work best for you and your family’s’ lifestyle.