Resolution time is here! One of the most common New Year’s Resolutions is to lose weight and stay healthy. However, it is also one of the hardest to keep. Making changes in your day-to-day life can be difficult, whether you resolve to do so on January 1st or any other day of the year. If healthier eating is on your resolution list for your family this year, here are some tips to help create lasting change.
Tips for Success
- Take some time to reflect. What are your barriers to change? What has stopped you in the past? What are your strengths and what are your areas for improvement?
- Create a plan. Think about how you can adjust your schedule to accommodate time for healthier shopping, cooking, meal planning, and physical activity.
- Surround yourself with a support system. Weight loss is far more successful when the whole family does it together. If your family is not up to the challenge, find some friends, extended family, or a support group to help you reach your goals.
- Monitor yourself. This is important to help you lose weight and eat healthier. Keeping a food diary can help you to process what has gone into your body. It also helps you plan for the remainder of the day. Luckily, there are many free mobile apps available to track your daily meals and caloric intake. MyFitnessPal is incredibly popular and also has an online platform.
- Reward System. This can be a great motivator for anyone, but especially a young child. Set goals together and ask your children to chose a reward that will motivate them.
- Be realistic. Change does not occur all at once. Begin with a few simple adjustments, and add on throughout the year as you gain confidence in your ability to change. For example, if you eat junk food three times a day, you can’t expect to go cold turkey. Decrease your intake to twice per day, and then once. Think about your life and your schedule, and be realistic.
You can do this. Making changes in your day-to-day life can be challenging. But, remember: small successes are the key. Good luck!